When students drop from a course their role changes from active to suspended. This process will happen automatically when a student officially drops or withdraws from a course.
Suspended students will appear grayed out in the gradebook with a pause icon next to the student's name. The student's grading history will remain in the course for future reference especially in the case of a petition.
Show Only Active Users
If you prefer to hide these suspended accounts, you can change this in your gradebook preferences to show only active users. This setting will apply to all of your courses in Moodle.
- Go to the Gradebook and select the Setup tab.
- Select the Preferences: Grader Report tab.
- Scroll down to the General section and select the arrow to roll out the preference options.
- Change the Show only active enrollments option from No to Yes.
- Click on the Save changes button.
When you go back to view your gradebook, you will only see the active students.
Your gradebook preferences are set as the user level and therefore will carry over to all courses in Moodle.
You can change your preferences at any time should you want to see inactive users in the future, you can follow the same steps and change the Yes to No in step 4.
If you are using the Moodle assignment tool, you should also check to make sure you are only seeing active users when you grade assignments.
- Click on your assignment link in your Moodle course either in the module or in the Activities block.
- Click on the button to View all submissions.
- Scroll to the bottom of the screen to Options section. Make sure that the check box to Show only active enrollments is selected. Once this option is set, it should be the same across all of your courses.